Re: [squid-users] transparent proxy problem again

From: Richard Fuser <m3@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 06 Aug 2003 19:45:57 +1000

Payal Rathod wrote:
> On Thu, Jul 31, 2003 at 09:52:22PM +0200, Henrik Nordstrom wrote:
>
>>>I ran from 127.0.0.1 itself.
>>>Shall I try it from other browser?
>>>I mean from any other machine?
>>
>>Your interception rule in iptables only applies to traffic forwarded,
>>not traffic originating from the box itself.
>

> Thanks a lot Henrik, it is working now. But it is slow. The page gets
> loaded in say 30 secs instead of usual 8-10 secs.
>
> What must be the problem with this? Is it dnsserver problem? I have made
> no changes to that sectin at all. Also, I have my own name server on the
> Linux (squid) box.
>
> With warm regards,
> -Payal

Hi Payal,

If its a DNS problem you should take a look at the Cache Manager in
general runtime information there is a section called ¨Median Service
Times¨ if your DNS lookups are taking a long time you should see it here
, for example below:

Median Service Times (seconds) 5 min 60 min:
     HTTP Requests (All): 0.02317 0.02899
     Cache Misses: 0.28853 0.25890
     Cache Hits: 0.00379 0.00379
     Near Hits: 0.24524 0.18699
     Not-Modified Replies: 0.00286 0.00379
     DNS Lookups: 0.00094 0.00094
     ICP Queries: 0.00085 0.00096

In some cases we have seen the DNS lookups @ 1.00032 or something like
that and its usually been a local problem with named, either way the
cache manager might be able to give you some other informaton that will
help you find where your problem is, ive found it very usefull at times.

Hope this helps.

Regards,
Richard