Re: [squid-users] Questions about forcing traffic through Squid

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Fri, 8 Aug 2003 00:28:17 +0200

On Thursday 07 August 2003 19.50, Wallace, Brian S. wrote:

> 1. It looks like transparent caching and WCCP would both bypass the
> load balancing currently being done by the ServerIron. Is this
> correct?

Yes.

> 2. Are there other ways to do load balancing and still use the
> VirusWall?

The use of VirusWall or not is irrelevant to the load balancing
question. The use of VirusWall in your configuration is after the
traffic has already hit Squid.

> 3. Is there anything that can be setup between the Cisco router and
> the ServerIron to do the routing without changing the configuration
> of the Squid servers?

If the ServerIron supports transparent interception and load balancing
of of port 80 then you can tell the Cisco to route all port 80
traffic to the ServerIron with a policy route.

> 4. Which ever method is used to force traffic to the Squid servers,
> are there ways to allow some outgoing traffic to bypass the Squid
> servers?

You bypass the forced caching by adding access control lists on the
router telling what traffic to not intercept.