[squid-users] Problem with IE and LDAP authentication

From: Marc Dreher <MarcDreher@dont-contact.us>
Date: Fri, 8 Aug 2003 10:35:33 +0200 (MEST)

Hi all,

There is this known problem with internet explorer and basic authentication
(FAQ 5.13). Now when the patch for this became available we informed our
users and everybody was happy again. Until...
we changed user authentication to authenticate agains an OpenLDAP server and
the problem is back again, even with the patch installed.
A few words regarding our infrastructure.
We are still using squid-2.4.STABLE7. We have three internal proxies and
user assignment to proxies is done with a proxy.pac file. the return statment in
the pac file contains all three servers, so if the first is not responding
the browser tries the second one and so on.
Now only with internet explorer we experience the problem that upon first
authentication a user has to authenticat at at least two, sometimes all three
proxies. Furthermore a reload is often required as the page does not show upon
first loading. It seems that Microsoft fixed the basic authentication
problem but LDAP remains??? Or is there a patch for this one as well (I did not
find one) or any other solution.

Thanks for any hints.

Cheers
Marc