[squid-users] Using ident or proxy_auth with cache_peer_access

From: J Lachlan Kanaley <tkanall@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 13 Aug 2003 11:20:23 +1000

Hello,

We are running squid 2.5-STABLE and I am having difficulty configuring
cache_peer access.

We have two connections to the internet, one is fast and expensive, the
other is slow but virtually free. We would like to be able to force
particular users onto the slow connection after they have downloaded a
certain amount in a month.

I have set up two caches, with the slow one being a parent to the faster
one, but denying access to it for all users except those we want to slow.
If I use a source IP address for the cache_peer_access the system works
fine. If I use an ident or proxy_auth name it simply goes through the
faster connection regardless.

Does anyone have any suggestions? I noticed a posting (in 2001) from a man
who had written a patch to allow the use of ident in this way. Did this
ever make it into the development tree? Has anyone got any alternative
configurations to try?

Thankyou in advance,

J Lachlan Kanaley

#acl test src 10.0.12.114 # Works
#acl test dst www.google.com.au # Works
#acl test port 80 # Works
#acl test ident <some username> # Doesn't Work
#acl test proxy_auth <some username> # Doesn't Work

cache_peer_access <ip> allow test
cache_peer_access <ip> deny all