RE: [squid-users] Compile WCCP module optimally

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 13 Aug 2003 14:16:08 +0200 (CEST)

On Wed, 13 Aug 2003 Paul.Fiero@ci.austin.tx.us wrote:

> Okay so if GRE is already compiled and loaded via insmod, and I can set up
> the tunnel to the router in question, my next step is to configure the
> router to redirect traffic to the squid server via WCCP as per normal? I
> don't have to configure the router for GRE tunneling specifically?

Are you using the ip_gre module? In such case is the module patched to
support WCCP?

I think you just set up a gre interterface with the router as endpoint.
Then the patch takes over. This GRE should only be used for receiving
traffic from the router, not for return traffic.

> And once that is done, then I have to enable port redirection? Via iptables
> or another app?

iptables, just as in the transparent interception case when not using
WCCP.

The purpose of WCCP is just to have the packets routed to the proxy server
box. It is the responsibility of the proxy server box to intercept the
traffic and redirect it to the proxy application.