Re: [squid-users] 2003/08/13 08:20:21| httpAccept: FD 15: accept failure: (24) Too many open files

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 13 Aug 2003 20:23:31 +0200

On Wednesday 13 August 2003 19.39, Brian Hechinger wrote:
> so ulimit for filedescriptors on solaris defaults to 256 for
> non-root. is there a way to determine how many filedescriptors
> squid needs so that i can set a proper ulimit?

A reasonable amount is at least 3 * number of concurrent users. In
some configuration (especially if not using half_closed_clients off)
more is needed, and the number is also larger for smaller amounts of
users (the "unexpected" variance in browsing request load is larger
making bigger extremes in relation to the number of users on small
numbers of users)

Note: The default limit for files on Solaris is usually 1024 with a
soft limit of 256, allowing non-root users to change their files
ulimit up to 1024. Squid automatically sets the ulimit as high as
possible on startup, but you may need to raise it manually while
building Squid.