Re: [squid-users] authentication with multiple proxies

From: Robert Collins <robertc@dont-contact.us>
Date: Sat, 16 Aug 2003 09:06:38 +1000

On Sat, 2003-08-16 at 00:54, Stephen J. McCracken wrote:
> We have a couple of servers set up (RedHat 7.3, Squid2.5STABLE2) as
> siblings with each having the other as fallback. This is setup through
> an automatic proxy script (proxy.pac). We are interested in putting in
> authentication (LDAP). Is there any way to have a user login to just
> one server and have the other accept the user as already authenticated
> if they get switched to the other server? Pointers to documentation or
> manuals is fine. Thanks!

The answer is no: HTTP is stateless, what looks like a 'login session'
is really the browser logging in on every single request automatically.

When the browser decides to use a new proxy, it will ask for
authentication from the user again. However, once a user has given the
browser details for each proxy, it -shouldn't- (it's browser dependent)
ask again (until the user closes the browser).
Rob