Re: [squid-users] Compression confirguation for low bandwidth

From: Robert Collins <robertc@dont-contact.us>
Date: Sat, 16 Aug 2003 23:50:52 +1000

On Fri, 2003-08-15 at 20:36, jack beany wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> Could someone give me a to-the-point answer on:
>
> a) Does Squid internally support compression of data sent and received, if
> so, how is it activated/enforced for various mimetypes?

No.

> b) Are there any modules that plugin to squid to enhance speed through low
> b/w connections(mod_gzip)?

Not of production quality.

> I use the latest Mozilla, and that obviously sends the Accept-Encoding:
> gzip,deflate header, but everything still goes through in plaintext.

Accept-Encoding is only of use for transcoding caches (squid isn't one),
and for origin servers - which get to decide whether to use compressed
data or not.

TE - Transfer Encoding is appropriate for proxy caches, clients and
servers - but there is also no module for this at the moment.

Cheers,
Rob