Re: [squid-users] Benchmarking Squid

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 20 Aug 2003 11:55:19 +0200

On Wednesday 20 August 2003 11.28, MunFai wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am trying to stress test my Squid installation. I am running it
> on a Suse Linux 8.2.
>
> I tried to use polygraph 2.7.6, but unfortunately it doesn't
> compile under gcc 3.3.

Then install a older GCC, SuSe or FreeBSD version on the benchmark
server or wait for the next polygraph release. For details on
Polygraph release availability see the polygraph web site.

Personally I would recommend using the TMF version of FreeBSD for
polygraph as all documentation on how to set up correct polygraph
benches is based on FreeBSD and it is not trivial to translate
networking tweaks etc to Linux, and the TMF version of FreeBSD is
custom tailored for polygraph..

> Any other squid benchmarking software to recommend? Preferably
> open-source, of course!

It is hard to compete with polygraph, but there is several other
simpler load testing tools. If your goal is to benchmark Squid as a
cache proxy there is not really any good alternative to polygraph,
the other tools are too specific and often oriented in testing web
server loads which is significantly different.