Re: [squid-users] Re: Live Machine having problems....

From: Adam Aube <aaube@dont-contact.us>
Date: Sun, 24 Aug 2003 20:09:34 -0400

> Befor it slwoed down, the machine was service realtime to 60 dialup
> users.. and it was turbo charged. now it slows down until i delete the
> cache, log and restart the squid server.

From the Squid FAQ (http://www.squid-cache.org/Doc/FAQ/FAQ-8.html#ss8.
1):

On x86 platforms, Squid uses 72 bytes of memory per cache object
to store metatdata and a checksum. There is no way to limit this
other than limiting the size of your cache.

This is in addition to memory taken up by the Squid program itself,
any helper programs, and the memory allocated by the cache_mem directive.

I'm going to guess that as the cache grew, Squid took all available
memory, then started taking up swap space, slowing the machine down.
Then, when you delete the cache, this memory is freed up, so the
system runs fast again.

It would help to have the following info from when the box is fast
and when it is slow:

1) The output of procinfo -r
2) The size and number of objects in the cache (use Cache Manager)

Also, what are the cache_mem and cache_dir settings in your squid.conf?