Re: [squid-users] Can squid support huge website ?

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 27 Aug 2003 10:51:22 +0200

On Wednesday 27 August 2003 04.15, alit alit wrote:

> But when I use the squid , I found that the squid is very slow !!
> It is slower even then using apache directly. So I want to know if
> the squid just can use in the small website? And it can't support
> more then 1500 connections at the same time ? Or maybe I didn't do
> a corrent configuration.

How many concurrent connections your Squid can support is determined
by filedescriptor limitations when you compile Squid. If you do not
take any actions to give Squid more than the default most OS:es only
allows for 1024 filedescriptors/process which is not sufficient for
large installations. About 2 filedescriptors is needed per concurrent
client TCP connection, and you want to have a noticeable margin on
this to allow for sudden bursts in traffic.