Re: [squid-users] Proactive refreshment in squid

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: 27 Aug 2003 14:00:44 +0200

ons 2003-08-27 klockan 12.11 skrev Gianugo Rabellino:

> I like that approach, and it sure makes sense. As of now how does Squid
> handle concurrent requests for the same resource? This is a common
> scenario for the setup I'm trying to put together (large sites with
> Squid acting as a reverse proxy), and I was wondering whether, with no
> object in cache, two concurrent requests would resolve in two separate
> connections to the origin server (with some kind of cache arbitration
> for subsequent writes, I'd assume) or there is some sort of smart queing.

Currently each request is processed separately. If there is two requests
for an expired object then both will generate a refresh to the web
server.

> Then again what about http acceleration? Normally bandwith isn't an
> issue there, and I think users might benefit a lot from that. Also, I
> understand that there is some sort of scoring algorithm with statystical
> gathering, so I guess it should be feasible to proactively fetch just
> frequently requestes objects.

It is doubtful if a reasonable tradeoff can be found compared to the
very simple design of relaxed refreshes.

Please consult the Squid FAQ and other available documentation before