Re: [squid-users] Speed of Squid

From: Adam Aube <aaube@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 28 Aug 2003 16:29:32 -0400

>My squid server 2.4 is running like a P100
>Speed on the server is very slow.

You may want to consider upgrading to the latest 2.5 Squid release
- there have been many improvements and it is better supported by
the list.

>The box has 2 1.6GHz procs
>1.5GB of RAM

Squid cannot take advantage of multiple processors, so the extra
CPU won't help you. Your RAM should be more than sufficient.

You didn't tell us how many/what size IDE/SCSI hard drives you have,
or what operating system you're running on. We also need to know
how many users the box will handle.

>what are the settings in the config file to help the cache server
>speed up and perform like a direct link to the web via a full T1.

The default config can handle a T1 just fine, so long as the hardware
and operating system aren't limiting it.

Adam