Re: [squid-users] Tweaking Squid for higher performance

From: fooler <fooler@dont-contact.us>
Date: Fri, 29 Aug 2003 16:18:44 +0800

----- Original Message -----
From: "Khamis Salam-Alada" <aosalam@yahoo.com>
To: <squid-users@squid-cache.org>
Sent: Friday, August 29, 2003 2:44 PM
Subject: [squid-users] Tweaking Squid for higher performance

> Please does anybody know where I can get a tweaked
> version of squid that can support up to 1000/s request
> rate

in order for squid to reach 1000 request per second, you need to redesign
squid from scratch... squid starting to degrade itself when it reaches
greater than 100 request per second... since squid is a single thread, it
wont scale to higher loads... multi-threading or parallelism is the key for
squid to reach your expected throughput aside from better filesystem design
for http objects...

> or what I can do to increase performance

since squid is a single thread and using either select() or poll() function,
you are bound by the limitation of these two functions... that is why the
bottleneck of squid is on its disk i/o system... if you want to increase its
performance, make a RAM filesystem instead of disk filesystem for its web
cache.... but of course you already know the pros and cons of using RAM
filesystem :->

fooler.