RE: [squid-users] Tweaking Squid for higher performance

From: Adam Aube <aaube@dont-contact.us>
Date: Fri, 29 Aug 2003 08:39:32 -0400

> Please does anybody know where I can get a tweaked
> version of squid that can support up to 1000/s request
> rate or what I can do to increase performance

1000 requests/sec is a lot to ask of Squid - mainly because it is not
multi-threaded. I would recommend the following:

- Change your cache_dir type to something other than the default ufs -
use aufs for Linux and diskd for BSD. If you're using something else,
ask the list for advice.

- Split your cache among several SCSI disks, and make sure those disks
are fast (15k U160 or faster). Forget about any kind of RAID with
these disks.

- Distribute the load - build multiple Squid servers in a cache
heirarchy

Adam