RE: [squid-users] Memory leak?

From: Adam Aube <aaube@dont-contact.us>
Date: Tue, 2 Sep 2003 11:31:08 -0400

> I have no other memory-eating processes in this machine,
> except the usual processes necessary for running squid...
> why its more important for kernel to keep the cache/buffer
> in-memory and swap squid out? can I alter this somehow?

I noticed this with my Squid box as well - the OS was using swap space
instead of freeing up memory used for buffers and cache (RedHat Linux
7.3).

I originally had a 1 GB swap partition, and saw a similar problem -
free memory was very low, but there was a large amount of buffers and
cache, and some swap usage. Using parted, I resized this partition to
256 MB, and the system used less memory for buffers and cache.

Try shrinking your swap partition in half (to about 1 GB) and see if
that improves your memory situation. You don't have to reboot the
system - just use swapoff to turn off the swap space, use parted to
resize it (check /etc/fstab for the minor partition # first), then use
swapon to turn it back on.

Adam