Re: [squid-users] redirector question

From: WA Support <support@dont-contact.us>
Date: Tue, 02 Sep 2003 11:14:02 -0700

Thanks for the reply!

Yeah you are right, I have some preliminary code written to make the
override check in the redirectStart subroutine of redirect.cc (squid-3).

Right now I am just at proof of concept code stage, but I check a
data/key pair database (author.db) to see if a particular client is
authorized to implement an override, then if they are, I check
(orstat.db) to see if they are in override status (data:username
key:On/Off). If they are in override status 'On' then I just send the
requested URI back to client_side_request without changes, if not, then
redirectStart does it's regular thing and sends request to squidGuard.

The only problem that I have is finding a good paradigm for a timer. I
can work it through a cron job, but this is kludgy, so I am trying to
figure out a more elegant timer method.

The idea is that a client has an authorized override username/password
separate from their username/password used to login to squid. This
override pair is kept in the authorized override database (author.db).
Then when one of these clients gets to a blocked site, if they want to
override the block, they can request an override and set the time limit
for the override. When they logon with their override username, their
staus is set to 'On' in the override staus database (orstat.db) and the
timer is set for the specified time. When the timer expires, their
entry in orstat.db is reset to 'Off.'

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

BTW, the code I have written works fine in squid-3, but not in squid-2.
Strange, since it is just a call to the handler (i.e.,
clientRedirectDone) from redirectStart. I probably overlooked
something, but it works fine in squid-3, so that is where I am working.

Murrah Boswell