Re: [squid-users] Pop-ups window blocking with squid

From: Christoph Haas <email@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 3 Sep 2003 22:53:31 +0200

On Wed, Sep 03, 2003 at 04:28:23PM -0400, Alvaro Gordon-Escobar wrote:
> Is it possible to block pop ups with squid?

Not very nicely at least. The window will open though but then only the
Squid error page will be displayed. I would recommend using a content
filter like privoxy in a chain with Squid. It also features such
wonderful tricks like translating "Microsoft" to "Microsuck". ;)
Privoxy changes the displayed HTML to remove the offending Javascript
portions and is easily extentible.

> I have a list of porn websites that I block, but when a user hits one of
> them, the site gets blocked, but the website was able to send data to
> squid to cause the client machine to open pop-ups.

The popup is JavaScript driven and does not need any loading of further
HTML pages. It is already contained in the HTML page that your browser
has already loaded.

Maybe I misunderstood you.

 Christoph

--