[squid-users] squid with large RAM cache on NetBSD

From: Ray Phillips <r.phillips@dont-contact.us>
Date: Sat, 6 Sep 2003 17:02:40 +1000

Dear Squid Users:

The operating system I prefer to use is NetBSD and squid runs on it
nicely. However, when I modified squid.conf to make the squid
process use a large percentage of my machine's RAM (so more objects
would be held in memory and users of the cache would experience fewer
fetching-from-disk delays) I ran into trouble.

After the change squid was restarting about once per day and this
error was appearing in squid's log:

    xcalloc: Unable to allocate 1 blocks of 4104 bytes!

It turned out this was due to NetBSD's default limit of 256 MB on a
process's size.

I built a new kernel to raise this limit to 390 MB RAM (the machine
has 448 MB) but then found issuing the command

   squid -k reconfigure

caused the whole machine to freeze. This doesn't occur when squid is
using less than 256 MB even with the new kernel.

For reference, this is the URL of my first message to the port-sparc
NetBSD mailing list:

   http://mail-index.netbsd.org/port-sparc/2002/12/05/0003.html

I've tried again since upgrading from NetBSD 1.5.2 to 1.6.1 but the
problem is still there [1].

Someone suggested squid might be the culprit, which I doubt, but
thought I'd check with you. I presume it's common for people to run
squid with in-memory caches well above 256 MB in size?

Ray

[1] http://mail-index.NetBSD.org/port-sparc/2003/09/05/0000.html