Re: [squid-users] Squid authentication from ADS to linux proxy server(squid)

From: Diego Rivera <lrivera@dont-contact.us>
Date: Sun, 07 Sep 2003 09:28:27 -0600

You can use LDAP authentication. Try squid's LDAP authenticator program
(included with the code), and there's a bunch of instructions on how to
do this.

I think you may also need nss_ldap from PADL.com, but it's doable and
I've done it before. You'll also need a "proxy" user with which the
authenticator process can log in to AD, since AD doesn't allow
meaningful anonymous queries.

Best

On Sun, 2003-09-07 at 06:02, ggrov7@eq.edu.au wrote:
> I wish to know if it is possible to get a linux box running squid to authenticate windows 98 clients (also some 2k and XP) from a windows 2000 ADS server. I have been told that winbind can be used for authenticating of squid by installing samba (but I haven't done it before). I also know that samba has a limitation for authenticating windows 98 on file shares to a ADS server(it can't do it, it can only do windows 2k and XP because windows 98 does not use the kerberos proticol). So will squid have the same problem (by useing samba(winbind) as the authenticaing program which will get the username and passwords from a ADS server). If squid can do it, can someone point me in the right direction please.

* Diego Rivera                                            *
* "The Disease: Windows, the cure: Linux"                 *
* E-mail: lrivera<AT>racsa<DOT>co<DOT>cr                  *
* Replace: <AT>='@', <DOT>='.'                            *
* GPG: BE59 5469 C696 C80D FF5C  5926 0B36 F8FF DA98 62AD *
* GPG Public Key avaliable at: http://pgp.mit.edu         *