Re: [squid-users] Speed : SQUID vs MS proxy

From: Colin Campbell <sgcccdc@dont-contact.us>
Date: Mon, 8 Sep 2003 14:13:54 +1000

Hi,

On Mon, 8 Sep 2003 11:26:26 +0700
aqil <aqil@indosat.net.id> wrote:

> Pada 08-Sep-2003, aqil menulis:
> > Here are the specs of the hardwares :
> > SQUID:
> > IBM Netfinity PIII 512MB,
> > I am allocating 448M of memory for squid

What do you mean "allocating". If you mean "cache_mem" then you need to go
back and read squid.conf's comments and probably the FAQ. On a 512MB machine you
should probably have significantly less than 448. I'd be guessing that 64MB
would be too much but the references I gave will tell you how much you should
have.

> > MS Proxy :
> > Compaq PIII 256MB
> >
> > I made some speed access comparisons. The result looks like this :
> > SQUID
> > www.google.com : 15,20 seconds
> > mail.yahoo.com : about 1 second
> >
> > MS Proxy
> > mail.yahoo.com : 7.20 seconds
> > www.google.com : about 2 seconds
>
> I meant, while accessing google site, I just need 1 second using MS
> proxy, and the double from SQUID...
>
> Apology for having bothered you ...
>
> > I repeat the trial a couple of times, but the result seems to be
> > similar. Access from MS proxy is faster than from Squid
> >
> > What we want to do is to substitute MS Proxy by SQUID in the compaq
> > machine. But I have to first show to people that the performance of
> > SQUID is superior to MS proxy..
> >
> > Any idea and suggestion on boosting the performance of squid would be
> > very appreciated...
>
> > TIA
> > aqil

Colin