Re: [squid-users] Users Authentication in squid

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Mon, 8 Sep 2003 11:42:49 +0200

On Monday 08 September 2003 10.39, Joel wrote:
> Hello squid users,
>
> I am confused over here on squid.
>
> i have redhat 9.0 and with the default squid install. It is serving
> atleast 70 users. it is working as a transaprent proxy giving
> caching to customers.
> I want to apply user authentication. Now if customers want to surf
> internet then they should use username and password to connect to
> internet. I have searched docs for this but didnt find any good
> one. so plz tell me how should i configure squid for user
> authentication.????

See the Squid FAQ.

Note: You CAN NOT use authentication in a transparent proxy. For
authentication to work the browser MUST BE CONFIGURED to use a proxy.

The first decision you need to take before continuing is from where
Squid should get information about the user accounts:

  * Local file (ncsa_auth)

  * LDAP directory (ldap_auth)

  * NT Domain (winbind)