Re: [squid-users] Problem With Search Page

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: 08 Sep 2003 16:54:32 +0200

mån 2003-09-08 klockan 15.49 skrev Jim Richey:
> I having a problem with a search page that may be squid related. I'm
> running Squid 2.5STABLE2 on Linux 2.4.18. The search page is:
>
> http://pro-net.sba.gov/pro-net/search.html
>
> If you go near the bottom of the form there is a field called Company
> Name or Trade Name. I put easton in this field and click on Search Using
> These Criteria. When not using Squid the result comes back within a few
> seconds. When using squid I never get a response back, not even a
> time-out. I've tried different browsers (IE 6SP1, Mozilla 1.4, and
> Netscape 4.7) and they all behave the same. I seen no indication of a
> problem in the squid logs. Can someone verify if this is a squid
> problem? Thanks.

The server seems to be subtly broken and fails if HTTP/1.0 persistent
connections are negotiated unless the request headers is split on
multiple packets. My guess is a broken firewall/IDS system going berserk
as this type of errors is generally very hard to accomplish in server
software.. but it usually is the other way around where requests fails
if split on multiple packets..

When the server bug is triggered the server only returns the reply
headers and then hangs, not the content.

You can work around this broken server by using
"server_persistent_connection off" in your squid.conf, but this will
give a performance penalty on all other servers.. would probably be wise
to contact the server administrator informing them that their server or
firewall does not work properly.

Please consult the Squid FAQ and other available documentation before