[squid-users] Reverse proxy tracking source IP's

From: robert schwartz <robert@dont-contact.us>
Date: Mon, 8 Sep 2003 09:49:45 -0700

I have an interesting problem, we have to reverse proxy incoming web
requests to an application that needs to know the end-user's IP address.
This is for security not for performance, so there's no need to cache
the actuall results. Our current proxy software cannot communicate this
information to the backend web server (every requests looks like its
coming from the proxy server obviously), and I was wondering if SQUID
can do this? It would be like "forwarded_for" for reverse proxy so that
there's something in the header the destination web server can read that
tells it the requesting client's real IP address. Is there a patch or a
well-known config option that has elluded my googling and MARC searching
that presents the requestor's IP address to the accelerated server?

TIA
Robert