[squid-users] Enabling LFUDA removal policy

From: Matthew Richards <Matthew.Richards@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 11 Sep 2003 18:35:02 +1000

Hello All,

I am trying to compile squid to use the LFUDA replacement policy, but am
having a little difficulty. Squid compiles and runs perfectly with no additional
compile time options (fact is I haven't explored very many of the options). The trouble
starts when I add the --enable-removal-policy option.

The system that I am using is:

Red Hat Linux 7.3 (Custom Install with @ Anonymous FTP Server, @ Web Server,
@ Utilities, @ Software Development, @ Kernel Development)

Having read a number of mailing list posts and having made the number of attempted
compiles that I have, I am starting to suspect that my Linux install may be missing
something ?!?

Anyway, here is what I have done (sorry to be so verbose but I do not want to leave
out something that may be important):

Oh, BTW my squid.conf follows standard format and directive order.

-------------------------Attempt 1-----------------------------------------
#rpm -e squid
#mkdir /usr/local/squid
#mkdir /usr/local/squid/src
#cp squid-2.5.STABLE3.tar.gz /usr/local/squid/src/
#cd /usr/local/squid/src/
#tar zxvf squid-2.5.STABLE3.tar.gz
#cd squid-2.5.STABLE3
#./configure --prefix=/usr/local/squid --enable-removal-policy
#make all
#make install
#vi /usr/local/squid/etc/squid.conf
Configured basics and added cache_replacement_policy heap LFUDA
#mkdir /usr/local/squid/cache
#chown -R squid. /usr/local/squid
#/usr/local/squid/sbin/squid -z

FATAL: ERROR: Unknown policy heap
Squid Cache (Version 2.5.STABLE3): Terminated abnormally.
CPU Usage: 0.000 seconds = 0.000 user + 0.000 sys
Maximum Resident Size: 0 KB
Page faults with physical i/o: 200
Aborted
#
-------------------------Attempt 2-----------------------------------------
<Same as above except>
#./configure --prefix=/usr/local/squid --enable-removal-policy="heap"
<This resulted in exactly the same error as attempt 1>
-------------------------Attempt 3-----------------------------------------
<Same as above except>
#./configure --prefix=/usr/local/squid --enable-removal-policy=heap
<This resulted in exactly the same error as attempt 1>
-------------------------Attempt 4-----------------------------------------
<Same as above except>
#./configure --prefix=/usr/local/squid --enable-removal-policy="LFUDA,heap"
<This resulted in exactly the same error as attempt 1>
<Same as above except>
#./configure --prefix=/usr/local/squid --enable-removal-policy="lfuda,heap"
<This resulted in exactly the same error as attempt 1>

Please help me someone! What am I doing worng? Must I use other compile time
options with --enable-removal-policy? Am I missing something in my squid.conf?
My cache_replacement_policy directive is before my cache_dir directives.

Thanks,
Matt.