Re: [squid-users] restrict "rogue" proxy

From: Antony Stone <Antony@dont-contact.us>
Date: Sat, 13 Sep 2003 09:58:07 +0100

On Saturday 13 September 2003 9:21 am, Li Wei wrote:

> hi, all
>
> Recently, I found some authorized Squid users privately installed
> other proxy software on their PC. So then, other unauthorized users can
> access my Squid server via it. I'm really at my wit's end.

This is not really a technical problem; it is a management problem.

If your users are breaking your Acceptable Use Policy like this, then you (or
the management who set the policy and decided who was Authorised and who was
not) should take disciplinary steps to make it clear to the users that this
is not acceptable.

If you have this sort of attitude amongst your users, such that they are (a)
installing unauthorised software on their PCs, (b) to enable unauthorised
users to access the web, and they are clearly technically capable of working
out this solution and implementing it, then you are unlikely to stop them by
purely technical means.

This is a job for Management to enforce the Acceptable Use Policy within your
organisation and make it clear to people that breaking it is not tolerated.

Trying to beat them technically will simply result in both you and them
wasting time which should be spent more productively, and will give the users
who break the AUP feelings of (a) technical superiority, and (b) immunity
from management discipline, when they can do things like this and get away
with it. Even if you *could* defeat them technically, management should
still step in with disciplinary measures because of the loss of productivity
caused by people spending time attempting this sort of thing.

Just my 2p.

Antony.

--
There are two possible outcomes.
If the result confirms the hypothesis, then you've made a measurement.