RE: [squid-users] Tweaking Squid for higher performance[Scanned]

From: Robert Collins <robertc@dont-contact.us>
Date: Mon, 15 Sep 2003 10:40:01 +0800

On Fri, 2003-08-29 at 22:39, Adam Aube wrote:
> > Please does anybody know where I can get a tweaked
> > version of squid that can support up to 1000/s request
> > rate or what I can do to increase performance
>
> 1000 requests/sec is a lot to ask of Squid - mainly because it is not
> multi-threaded. I would recommend the following:

Actually, this ("mainly because it's not multi-threaded") is not true.
Threading costs syncronisation overheads, and only adds single-process
CPU scalability - and squid gets that very effectively by running
multiple instances. Squid using poll() can drive linux to 70% CPU time
in poll(), 100% total time used - that is something that threading -does
not help-.

Squid's non-blocking single-threaded model is -nearly- optimal for high
performance networking.

> - Change your cache_dir type to something other than the default ufs -
> use aufs for Linux and diskd for BSD. If you're using something else,
> ask the list for advice.

diskd is also fine for linux. aufs is only ok on systems with kernel
threads.

Cheers,
Rob