[squid-users] Squid Host Logging with rdesktop and Thin Clients

From: Jason Sopko <jason@dont-contact.us>
Date: Tue, 16 Sep 2003 09:31:36 -0400

I was wondering if it is possible to log the hostname of a thin client
that's using Squid for its proxy. I currently have thin clients running
a small custom Linux package that boots the kernel, spawns the xwindows
system and then immediately connects to a Windows 2000 Terminal Server
via rdesktop. The thin client users run Microsoft Internet Explorer from
the Windows 2000 Terminal Server and are forced to authenticate with a
Squid proxy before connecting to the Internet. The usernames are being
logged fine with Squid, but I'd also like to be able to log the thin
client that the person is seated in front of, too. Currently, each log
entry appears from the IP address of the Windows 2000 Terminal Server,
since that is the host that they are running Internet Explorer from.
Each thin client has a unique hostname associated with it, by using the
'-n $hostname' switch in rdesktop. A different hostname is defined for
each thin client based on its MAC address during boot time. This
$hostname parameter is used for a software package called IBM Client
Access, which is essentially a TN3270 terminal emulation package used to
connect to an AS/400 server. The AS/400 uses the $hostname variable to
determine which thin client is connecting to it, even though the actual
program is running on the Windows 2000 Terminal Server. The AS/400 then
knows which default printer to use for that particular thin client,
among other settings. What I'd like to do is somehow pass a similar
parameter to Squid from the thin clients, so that both the username and
the thin client name were logged. Is this possible, and if so how would
I go about doing it? Thank you in advance for your help.

///Jason