Re: [squid-users] Squid / IPTables to forward out another interface

From: Antony Stone <Antony@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 17 Sep 2003 18:08:01 +0100

On Wednesday 17 September 2003 5:52 pm, Thomas Sweatt wrote:

> I've got Squid set up to function as a transparent proxy, and want to
> send the http requests that Squid is intercepting out of a different
> interface than the default.
>
> Is this possible using Squid / IPTables? I've posted on the Shorewall
> lists, as thats what I use on the firewall (Squid runs on the firewall,
> btw). I'm not quite sure where I need to go next.

You need iproute2 for this. Squid can't do what you want because it's an
application-layer proxy - it knows nothing about routing. Netfilter
(iptables) can't do what you want because it just filters traffic which would
otherwise be routed (or it can alter sourc/destination addresses, but that's
not what you want to do).

Try http://www.linuxdocs.org/HOWTOs/Adv-Routing-HOWTO-3.html and
http://www.lartc.org

Antony.

--
What I don't know far exceeds what I know, but unfortunately, it is far
easier to write about what I know than about what I don't know.