Re: [squid-users] About wpad proxy.pac and proxy auto detection related stuff

From: Merton Campbell Crockett <mcc@dont-contact.us>
Date: Mon, 22 Sep 2003 11:05:54 -0700 (PDT)

On Mon, 22 Sep 2003, Fernando Lunardelli wrote:

> Hi, just a little word about wpad related files ...
> in some cases (my case expecificaly) IE 6.0 try to find a file called
> "proxy.pa" ... I dont know why ...but with a
> Redirect /proxy.pa http://wpad.my.domain/proxy.pac entry in httpd.conf
> everything works fine :) ...
> Sorry my poor english ... ;)

You can consider it a bug in Microsoft's code or a marketing ploy to have
you use Microsoft's DHCP implementation.

Options containing ASCII text are not supposed to include any trailing NUL
characters. If they are present, a client is expected to remove trailing
NULs from the string. IE 6.0 assumes that there is always at least one
NUL character at the end of the ASCII text and decrements the option's
size. I presume that this is because Microsoft's DHCP server includes a
trailing NUL in the ASCII text.

The "fix" is to do exactly what you've done.

Merton Campbell Crockett

--
BEGIN:				vcard
VERSION:			3.0