Re: [squid-users] using squid for lightweight HA

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Mon, 22 Sep 2003 20:51:01 +0200 (CEST)

On Mon, 22 Sep 2003, Robert Rothberg wrote:

> origin (very cool). I need to do the opposite in some cases, try the origin,
> then my sibling caches for failover. Any ideas?

Some coding is required to get this perfect, but it works to some degree
if you define a non-ICP parent and use perfer_direct on (the default).
This will make Squid on any requests which are hierarchical first try to
go direct and if that fails use the peer cache.

The problem is all the non-hierarchical requests (PUT/POST, reload, what
is marked as non-hierarchical in squid.conf and some more). Squid only
sends non-hierarchival requests to peer caches if never_direct allow is in
effect, and in such case it will never go direct...