[squid-users] Installing and configuring Squid 3 PRE3

From: <thad@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 25 Sep 2003 10:51:59 -0700 (PDT)

I'm having some trouble installing and configuring
Squid3 PRE3. Currently the environment in which I want
to install this release has version 2.5 STABLE 2 I
believe.

After untaring the tarball I run ./configure, then
make, then make install. Everything goes without a
hitch but when trying to run squid3, the OS environment
still sees version 2.5. I know that this is a very
navous question, but I'm still pretty new at the Linux
environment and how to install/upgrade computer
services.

If someone could please direct me in correctly
installing version 3 and making the OS see the new
version, plus making sure that the new version knows
where the .config file is located, it would be greatly
appreciated.

Thank you,

Thad

P.S. Henrik, thank you for your response to my previous
question about proxy redirects. I'm just now finding
the time to get back to you. As you can see I'm trying
to go with version 3 in order to take atvantage of the
cach-peer functionality. If you could give me some
pointers on setting this up again, I would greatly
appreciate it!