Re: [squid-users] non-permanent internet-access, idnsSendQuery

From: Antony Stone <Antony@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 25 Sep 2003 21:02:31 +0100

On Thursday 25 September 2003 8:43 pm, michael mueller wrote:

> There is no connection to the internet and a client tries to get a page and
> squid tries to resolve the name. So far, so good.
> But I don't want squid to search for 56 tries and 304.2 seconds.
>
> I've tried:
> negative_ttl 1 minutes
> negative_dns_ttl 3 minutes
> connect_timeout 120 seconds
> read_timeout 2 minutes
> request_timeout 30 seconds
> pconn_timeout 60 seconds
>
> So why is squid searching for 5 minutes?

5 minutes sounds like a TCP timeout period to me.

/usr/src/linux/include/net/tcp.h says 60 seconds to wait for a TCP response,
and 5 retries sending SYN and waiting for a SYN-ACK. There's your 5 minutes.

Regards,

Antony.

--
Most people are aware that the Universe is big.
 - Paul Davies, Professor of Theoretical Physics