Re: [squid-users] Single squid in a squid -> filter -> squid setup

From: Chris Wilcox <not_rich_yet@dont-contact.us>
Date: Mon, 29 Sep 2003 09:36:53 +0100

Cheers for the replies folks,

I am currently tending to agree with the use of two seperate instances of
Squid. Aside from the logs, it should actually make our system easier to
manage as I got really confused trying to suss out a squid.conf that may or
may not always have a true upstream proxy. Using two squid instances means
this issue is no longer apparent as any true upstream proxy would only need
to be declared (or not declared as the case may be!) in the caching squid,
not the authenticating/ACL'ing squid that clients connect to.

We are planning on using the "peer_access <peer> allow|deny acl acl acl ..."
ACL so I am glad someone else has further confirmed this 'should' work. I'm
hoping this will work fine with external ACL's aswell? We will be writing a
custom one to allow us to authorise users based on our custom Identd string
returned from clients.

Thanks again.

Regards,

nry