Re: [squid-users] How to prevent anwanted bypassing squid by network users trhough browser set-up

From: Guy Dawson <guy@dont-contact.us>
Date: Mon, 29 Sep 2003 14:01:23 +0100

Brett Lymn wrote:

> On Mon, Sep 29, 2003 at 02:40:57PM +0200, Manuel Schroeder wrote:
>

>>How can I make squid to block browsers coming on port 80 in "no proxy
>>mode"?! :)
>>

> Quite simply, you cannot. What you need is a firewall that prevents
> your users from directly accessing the internet, only allowing WWW
> access via your proxy. This way your users are forced to use the
> proxy and hence are forced to comply with the mandated policies (much
> as that may sound authoritarian).

Indeed. That's what we do here. The firewall only allows outgoing WWW
connections from our WWW proxies. Users are free to configure their
WWW browsers to not use the WWW proxy. This simply results in them being
stopped by the firewall...

Guy
-- --------------------------------------------------------------------
Guy Dawson I.T. Manager Crossflight Ltd
guy@crossflight.co.uk 07973 797819 01753 776104

This email contains the views and opinions of a Crossflight Limited
employee and at this stage are in no way a direct representation of
Crossflight Limited.
the system manager. To ensure the integrity and appropriate use of
its email system, Crossflight Limited reserves the right to examine
any email held on its email system or sent to or from it.
We strongly recomend that you check this email with your own virus
software as Crossflight Limited will not be held responsible for any
damage caused by viruses as a result of opening this email.