[squid-users] Help to get the maximum squid setup

From: Kenneth Oncinian <koncinian@dont-contact.us>
Date: Tue, 30 Sep 2003 17:05:28 +0800

Hi,
I have been testing squid on a test machine and is now ready to be used in an
IBM xseries 205 with 1gig of RAM, 2.4 ghz CPU and two(2) 18.2 10k rmp SCSI
disks.

Previously, I have used this configuration:

./configure --prefix=/usr/local/squid \
--enable-async-io \
--with-pthreads \
--enable-storeio="aufs,ufs"
--enable-snmp \
--disable-http-violations \
--disable-hostname-checks \
--enable-underscores \
--enable-auth="basic" \
--enable-basic-auth-helpers="NCSA"
--enable-default-err-language=English

Operating System would be Slackware Linux, kernel 2.4.22. Should I stay with
pthreads or should I use the included dlmalloc in squid? Which is better in
performance?

Also what filesystem would you guys recommend? I am planning to use XFS
although the test machine is now running on ReiserFS, does XFS has a
performance advantage over ReiserFS according to your experience?

Any other tips or suggestions or anything that I have to consider to achieve
maximum performance on the machine? Estimated number of users is 100 to 200
only.

Thanks and best regards,
Kenneth Oncinian