RE: [squid-users] yahoo messenger squid and ACL's

From: Adam Aube <aaube@dont-contact.us>
Date: Fri, 3 Oct 2003 08:26:16 -0400

Ehsan Lesani [ehsan@safineh.net] wrote:

> You can't [block Yahoo Messenger] by using squid.

Yes, you can - provided the rest of your network is setup properly.

> That's only because squid is work with HTTP
> protocol or port 80 only when yahoo
> messenger can use any port that can you think.

Every version of Yahoo Messenger I have seen will try its own ports by
default, and if it is unable to use those ports, it will tunnel over
port 80 (or through a configured proxy).

In a proper setup (where the only access to the Internet is via the
proxy), Squid can be used to block Yahoo Messenger quite effectively,
as other list members can confirm.

Adam