[squid-users] Squid 3 as reverse proxy (with ESI)

From: Stefan Vogel <stefan.vogel@dont-contact.us>
Date: Mon, 6 Oct 2003 16:36:35 +0200

Hi Squid-users,

after browsing through the email-archive and other documentation
and finding nothing apropriate, I hope someone in this mailing list
can help me.

I'm trying to set up squid-3 as a reverse proxy with ESI-
support (on Solaris 8, if that matters).
Has someone already done this?

Here is my environment:

proxy.machine.com (server with squid 3 running on port 80)
other.machine.com (another server with BEA-application-server running)

So my settings are:

http_port 80 defaultsite=other.machine.com:7001
always_direct allow all
# all others are default-settings

  By the way. I'm not quite sure, if these settings are enough
  and o.k. to get a reverse proxy. The variables changed quite a bit
  from squid 2.x to 3 (in that http_accel_* - config-variables
  are no longer there).
  Is there an up-to-date documentation somewhere (I seem to
  find only docs for 2.x)
  At least this works for other pages which are cached nicely.

Now I'm requesting a page with "ESI"-tags in it, e.g. page "esi.html"
<esi:try>
<esi:attempt>
<esi:include src="http://proxy.machine.com/my.jsp" onerror="continue" />
</esi:attempt>
<esi:except>
<b>shit - didnt work</b>
</esi:except>
</esi:try>

At first I see that none of the "ESI"-tags are removed from the delivered
page.
I configured squid with "--enable-esi" and I'm using
expat-1.95.6.

Somewhere deep inside cache.log (I've set debugging to 9)
I find something like:
  fd_open FD 5 /usr/local/squid/share/errors/English/ERR_ESI

I didn't even find any messages matching "my.jsp" in the log
But I don't see the error-page for that in the browser.
What I see is simply the page as mentioned above.
When switching to
esi_parser custom
The ERR_ESI-error vanishes, but I still find the ESI-tags in
the returned page.

Can someone shed some light on that?
How can I get a more detailed error-description.
Is there a nice manual for setting up squid 3 with ESI.
(Or any of those)
Do I have to change "httpd_accel_surrogate_id" and what exactly
does it mean.

Thanks for any help,links,hints or anything in advance
  Stefan

--
Stefan Vogel