Re: [squid-users] xmalloc and out of memory errors in messages log

From: Tay Teck Wee <wolfpacks01@dont-contact.us>
Date: Tue, 7 Oct 2003 15:17:49 +0800 (CST)

Hi,

these are my findings:
squid process size(seen from Unix TOP) will increase
slowly from a restart till it exceeds 900M, at which
it will restart again due to xmalloc error. All within
a period of 10 to 15 min during peak hours.

The Total Accounted Memory (seen from cachemgr) always
shows about 60-70% of the size of the squid process,
i.e. when squid process is at 500M, Total Accounted
Memory is about 350M. This ratio is maintained
throughout the squid process lifetime.

One thing peculiar is that under Memory usage for
squid via mallinfo(): the total in use is always 100%.

From Memory Utilization->In Use->KB column, the top 3
are:
StoreEntry 356131
MD5 digest 118711