RE: [squid-users] Prompt for authentication even while using NTLM_AUTH

From: Adam Aube <aaube@dont-contact.us>
Date: Tue, 7 Oct 2003 09:21:29 -0400

> From some weeks to now, my users are reporting that while they are
> browsing in random web sites (all this sites are permited by acls in
> squid.conf) they are prompted for user/password/domain by Internet
> Explorer...

Go into Cache Manager, under the NTLM Authenticator Stats page. This
has the information you'll need to tune the number of NTLM helpers, as
well as determining if the problem is not with Squid.

Look at the per-helper statistics. The last few helpers should be
basically idle (# Requests is low and Time is high). If not, add more
helpers. If this is the case, then you need to look at other possible
bottlenecks - disk/memory/CPU, network bandwidth, and possibly even
your DC.

Adam