Re: [squid-users] Umlauts in usernames (repost)

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 16 Oct 2003 16:42:11 +0200 (CEST)

On Thu, 16 Oct 2003, Jan Heyelmann wrote:

> it writes acces.log. But to even puzzle me more in the example posted
> below the character ö is written as %99 in access.log, the charts I
> found so far on the net assume that ö should be converted to %f6. Am I
> using a wrong chart here?

Maybe.. or your client is sending bad information. In either case Squid
just logs whatever it got from the client.

> But since logfiles are treated differently as external helpers and
> redirectors how are these characters passed on to those instances and is
> there a difference between the two?

In Squid-2.5.STABLE4 redirectors got the username exacly as-is, making the
redirector protocol fail badly on usernames with spaces and similar "odd"
situations.

From Squid-2.5.STABLE5 and later (including current nightly snapshots)
redirectors get the username URL-encoded just as it is in access.log.