Re: [squid-users] anyone using pam_radius to implement basic authentication

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Tue, 21 Oct 2003 22:38:24 +0200 (CEST)

On Tue, 21 Oct 2003, Alex Sharaz wrote:

> hi all
> I am currently using a squid radius authentication module with my caches
> and am considering moving to a pam_radius setup.

Why?

> Has anyone used pam_radius with a squid cache?

Don't know, and I don't see why one would want to involve PAM if there is
a native helper.

The pam_auth helper to Squid should really be considered as a last-resort
if no other means exists, as in most situations you do not want the
underlying OS to need to know about all your proxy users. The less the OS
knows about things it does not need the better.