RE: [squid-users] SQUID automatic detection Problems

From: Adam Aube <aaube@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 22 Oct 2003 09:25:07 -0400

> I need to setup the proxy server so that it is
> automatically detected by the client PC. We're
> running a mixture of Windows 98 to XP Pro PC's

> I've followed the command;
>
> iptables -t nat -D PREROUTING -i eth1 -p tcp --dport 80 -j REDIRECT
> --to-port 3128

> The PC's on the network automatically detect the proxy
> server, BUT they get
> the following text displayed;

I belive this error is generally caused by Squid misconfiguration.
Make sure Squid was compiled with Netfilter support (see
./configure --help for a list of options), and make sure the
http_accel options in Squid are properly set (this can be found in the
FAQ and the archives).

My personal recommendation is to dump transparent proxying. It is a
hack that limits the capabilities of the proxy and can cause problems
even when setup properly. Use a proxy auto-configuration script
instead.

Adam