Re: [squid-users] Proxy Authentication and Java Applets

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 22 Oct 2003 16:56:11 +0200 (CEST)

On Wed, 22 Oct 2003, Rothermel Wolfgang wrote:

> When a java applet is to be loaded from a website an authentication
> dialogbox appears and the credentials have to be entered explicitely.

This should only happen if you are using a third-party JRE I think..

> When I understand it correctly the reason for this is that squid
> authenticates a socket (ip address and source port). When the Java Virtual
> Machine is not part of the browser but a different process the browser's
> authentication is not valid for the JVM.

Nope. It simply is from the fact that the JVM runs somewhat detached from
the internal logics of the browser, initiating it's own network
connections rather than using the HTTP module of the browser (where the
support for authentication resides in the browser).

> Is there a way to avoid the JVM authentication box ?

Using a JVM which supports integrated NTLM login method, or using the HTTP
access methods from within JVM which uses the browser HTTP module and not
direct network connections from JVM. The latter is application dependent,
and is determined by the programmer when writing the application.