RE: [squid-users] Problem configuring winbind for squid

From: Adam Aube <aaube@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 22 Oct 2003 11:00:18 -0400

Please don't ask a question by replying to another question; send a
new message to the list instead.

> i am trying to configure winbind on my linux to
> allow ntlm authenticatiom.

> i followed the article i found on squid faq.
> on running wbinfo -a domain\\user%password,
> i get "plaintext password authentication succeeded"
> and nothing more. i did not get any
> challenge/response authentiocation.

> i also learnt dat i cannot do NTLM without compiling
> samba with --with-winbind etc.

Correct.

> so what can i do with this setup since it can talk to
> windows domain and it did join successfully.

You can use basic auth with the Winbind helpers. This will allow you
to use the usernames and passwords in your Windows domain, but users
will be prompted by their browsers for their login information.

> i also can't find anything on squid helper.
> i had something like
> # /usr/local/squid/libexec/wb_auth -d in the manual.
> i can't seem to find a file with the name wb_auth on my system.

Then you probably didn't build the helper support into Squid (using
the appropriate --enable options to configure), see configure --help
for a list of options.

What does squid -v give as output?

Adam