Re: [squid-users] 2 GB file size limit

From: Antony Stone <Antony@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 23 Oct 2003 13:48:21 +0100

On Thursday 23 October 2003 1:40 pm, Bernhard Erdmann wrote:

> > Why do you want >2Gbyte log files? Surely you should either be
> > rotating
> > your log files, or else they contain information which nobody is ever
> > going
> > to be bothered to look through?
> >
> > I know it's not an answer to your question, but I've never understood
> > the
> > purpose of keeping such enormous quantities of logging information?

> This logfile with 2 GB size has been written for four days. Logrotation
> was not configured properly.
>
> If your squid is just a little more busy, hitting 2 GB after just one
> day is no problem.

Yes, I know that. I just don't understand why you would want to *keep* log
files of this size? Surely if your proxy server is this busy you should
either be log rotating hourly instead of daily (and then deleting old logs
quite soon), or not keeping logs at all?

I don't see what use such a large quantity of log data would be put to in
order to make it worth keeping.

Antony.

--
If the human brain were so simple that we could understand it,
we'd be so simple that we couldn't.