Re: [squid-users] Content control done by external acl helper

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 23 Oct 2003 19:23:50 +0200 (CEST)

On Thu, 23 Oct 2003, Mauricio Pegoraro wrote:

> I'm looking for a content control/blacklist, such as squidGuard (written
> in C, fast, ...), that is an external acl helper for Squid. Does anyone
> know such thing?

We have one using the Cerberian rating system. More information can be
found from http://www.marasystems.com/cerberian/ and
http://marasystems.com/download/cerberian/ (no www.). It should not be
very hard to write one using static blacklists if one prefer. However, for
static blacklists the builtin acls of Squid is most likely more efficient.

This requires a small extension of the external_acl scheme in Squid-2.5
for performance reasons (found on the download page above). Squid-3 only
requires the helper.

Note: The performance arguments of SquidGuard is from a time before Squid
had any decent acl implementations. The situation changed considerably
when splay trees was introduced in Squid (Squid-2.1 I think, maybe
earlier), generally making SquidGuard slower than correctly used Squid acl
lists due to the overhead of using an external helper.

Now with Squid-3 (or the extension referenced above) the helper interfaces
of Squid have been optimized significantly, allowing for very efficient
operation with external helpers, both for external acl and the redirector
interface.