[squid-users] Squid fails due to the DNS entry

From: Taiwo Akinosho <Taiwo.akinosho@dont-contact.us>
Date: Fri, 24 Oct 2003 15:38:19 +0100

Hello guys,
This mailing list has been so helpful in my sojourn to linux.
i will try by conributing my experiences a s i xplain my
problem.

My squid has been failing intermittently.
i thought iw was due to a badly configured
static route but it still happens every now
then after removing the bad route.

i still suspect the static route bit because the
problem started after i added/ removed the route.

Anyway, my squid server uses the internet router as its
default gateway. i configured the DNS to poing to my internal
DNS for local name resolution.

everything works fine since the internet gateway has globas
DNS entries pointing to the ISPs DNS.

However for about 2 days now the name resolution just
fails. i can't ping a website from squid during this
period. i don't know what happens but everything
just gets back to normal.

now i have replaced the internal DNSs with the global DNS
on the router. everything works perfectly now.

However i suspect i will have a problem with
samba if i do not have the internal DNS conigured for
on the squid server.

Does anyone have a neater solution in mind?

Thanks alot.
Taiwo.