Re: [squid-users] System hung up

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Sat, 25 Oct 2003 00:38:46 +0200 (CEST)

On Fri, 24 Oct 2003, Zand, Nooshin wrote:

> First sorry for non squid question.
> Have you experience Linux server hung up?

At times yes.

> I am running Redhat 9.0. The system is just hung up and I can not
> Found one single error message any where.
> All processes will stop and system need to be power cycled.

Such issues are usually either hardware or kernel related.

I would recommend you to start by running some hardware tests of the
system.

The first thing to test is memory. memtest86 is a good free memory
test tool. Let it run for at least 2 passes. If it does discover any
errors then your hardware is broken and needs to be fixed.

If this does not show any memory problems after at least 2 passes of
the normal test level then try to excersise the complete system a bit by
for example compiling the linux kernel tightly in a loop.

1. Build the Linux kernel as usual, but do not install it.

2. Run the following test script, repeating the kernel build over and over

  #!/bin/sh
  cd /usr/src/linux/
  cp .config linux.config
  set -e
  while true; do
    make mrproper
    cp linux.config .config
    make oldconfig
    make dep
    make clean
    make -j2 bzImage
    make -j2 modules
  done

and let it run over the night. If the test have aborted when you return in
the morning then your hardware is broken and needs to be fixed.