Re: [squid-users] Multiple NIC on same Net

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Sat, 25 Oct 2003 22:21:38 +0200 (CEST)

On Sun, 26 Oct 2003, Lazuardi Nasution wrote:

> I have two NIC on the same network, called NIC A and NIC B.

Why?

You only need multiple NIC to the same network if the bandwidth of a
single NIC is not sufficient, which I doubt is the case here.

In most OS:es having multiple NIC to the same network only makes things
very confusing for both the server and your clients. This is from the
small (but not that well known) fact that IP addresses are often global
for all NICs on the server, not only the NIC the address is assigned to.
This is for example the case on any Linux or Solaris server.

If you want multiple IP addresses of the server on the same network then
assign all IP addresses to the same NIC.

> I want my client access through NIC A IP Address but the Squid Sibling
> access through NIC B IP Address. How can filter the destination IP of
> client TCP/IP request (not destination URL's IP) to Squid Server ?

By firewalling.

Or by Squid access controls. Whichever you feel most appropriate for the
situation. In Squid you can use the myip ACL type for matching the IP
address where the request was accepted.